I wanted to try and setup integrating an email account with my custom domain using Office 365. It was trivial and didn't even had to do anything other than update my alias.
Steps to integrate your domain with Office 365
- Login to your Office 365 Admin Center
- On the left side of the screen, expand settings and click Domains
- Click Add domain. If you don't have an existing domain, you can buy domain straight here.
- Type in your domain name
- Office 365 gives you the option to automatically integrate it with GoDaddy, or you can manually do the steps.
- Select Add the DNS records for me
- If you are using GoDaddy, then you should be prompted something similar to this
- Verify the DNS that will be updated and click next
- After clicking next, you should be greeted with a screen like this
Now that Office 365 has verified that I am the owner of the domain, next I have to do is to update my alias. Since my Office 365 did not have any existing users that I have to migrate or update, I have to manually update my existing Office 365 account.
Steps to update the alias of a user
- At the left side of the screen, expand users, and click active users
- Select the user that you want to add or update
- Click edit User name / Email Aliases
- Under aliases, type in an alias you want people to be able to email you, and click Save
- Office 365 would notify you that you have to sign out and log back in as that alias, and you should be good to go.